Given a bit of spare time yesterday, I dug out an old toy and converted it into some transport for my 1940 French in 20mm scale.
I started with an old Lesney die-cast Scammel recovery vehicle with a broken towing arm. Some carved balsa wood and glued-on tissue paper gave it a canvas-covered rear platform. I think it looks like a reasonable approximation to a French artillery tractor, perhaps something from the Laffly company?
As you can see, there are two. The one on the left, above, I made about twenty years ago by a similar method. The colour matching isn't perfect but I'd think canvas tilts in particular would vary in colour.
I've no plans to use these at the moment but it's nice to know the second toy is no longer sitting in a box waiting for me to do something with it.
7 comments:
I also press ganged an old Lesney Scammell into my 20mm collection. I think breaking tow arms was a feature of the toy.
I think you're right; I don't think I've ever seen an intact one in real life.
Great use of old models!
Thanks for commenting Ray! There's certainly something satisfying about making something useful out of what would otherwise have been thrown away.
Great work sir!
Thanks Michal!
Nice job. Any WIP photos? I'd find it helpful/ added interest to see how you went about it !
Post a Comment