Sunday, December 21, 2014

On the workbench: Militia Heavy Weapons Teams

I picked up these Chechen heavy weapons teams from Under Fire Miniatures at Fiasco in Leeds.  For me they will serve as Andreivian militia.

On the left is a two-man team with an AGS-17 4mm auto grenade launcher.  On the right is a 73mm SPG-9.  The latter is the recoilless version of the 73mm low pressure gun fitted in the turret of the BMP-1.

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Christmas Plans

Every year I try to get in a couple of games between Christmas and the New Year when I know that my gaming mates and I will all be available.  This year is no exception.  Or rather it is an exception in that this year I plan three games!

When I ran the Kursk 1943 game recently, young Jacob from over the road wanted to play.  He happened to ask when we were very busy, right at the end of the evening so I promised him a game in a few weeks' time.  So on Saturday 27th (if all of them can make it) I'll be running an Eastern Front tank game for the neighbourhood kids - Jacob, Harry, and Leo.

The plan is that Harry and Leo will have three T-34s (with tank riders) each to assault a German position.  Jacob (the youngest) will help me by rolling dice and wearing the German helmet!

The following day I plan a large Black Powder game.  This will be set in the early 18th century and will feature Russians against a perhaps unlikely alliance of Poles and Turks.

Once again my Baccus and Irregular 6mm models will form the forces.

Finally, on the afternoon of New Year's Eve I plan a game, or perhaps two, of Pulp Alley.  The Mystery of Faulkner's Balls awaits daring adventurers!

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Andreivian Turkish Workshop

My focus for the next Andreivia game is to make sure there is enough terrain.  I know we won't be short of figures and vehicles.  The latest addition to my Andreivian real estate is this Turkish-owned small business.

It's basically just a foam core box with detail added from the spares box and from coffee stirrers and plastic card.

I may build a forecourt with a low surrounding wall for the building to sit within.

The building may be in Mdinar as it seems from the photograph below that it's in an area occupied by Russian naval infantry.

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Boris Katzenov

Another 6mm scale 'Notable' for Maurice:

The latest singly based commander for my Maurice collection is Boris Katzenov, a wily character from the Carpathian frontier.

He's a rank and file Baccus Cossack converted by cutting down his lance into a commander's baton.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

German CO

This is the CO unit for my early war Germans when playing Blitzkrieg Commander.

The SdKfz 251 is from Scotia with a Heroics and Ros figure added as the gunner.  The motorcyclist and other figures are also H&R.  The car is from a set of 1/285th civilian vehicles I bought at Vapnartak back when it was at the Merchant Adventurers' Hall!  No idea who the manufacturer was.

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Fresh from the workbench: Polish Horse

The latest unit to make its way to be photographed is this regiment of late 17th-early 18th century Polish pancerny:

As usual they are Baccus 6mm from their Great Northern War range.  The four bases form a standard unit for either Black Powder or Maurice.

Leading the unit is the first of what I plan as a series of singly based figures to represent Notables in Maurice.

Paint-converted from a Baccus ECW General, this figure was vaguely inspired by Augustus von Thiesing from the Maurice card deck.

All-in-all the Polish army is coming along OK but I still have a fair amount to do if they are to provide more than an allied contingent in a Black Powder game.

The army now consists of one unit of Hussars and two of Pancerny, with a unit of Valack light horse completing the cavalry.  The two infantry units are one of Drabants from the Sandomiercz district and Jan Sobieski's guard Janissaries.  Jan is represented as one of the two General elements.

Friday, December 5, 2014

The Art of Warfare in the Age of Marlborough

I've just finished David Chandler's book on warfare between the 1680s and 1740s.  It's really a very readable account and well worth the £8 I paid for it at Fiasco.

To be honest, I started buying 18th century models without any real understanding of the period.  I wanted to try painting some of the Baccus 6mm range and to see what I could achieve with serried ranks of colourful 6mm models.  It was by way of an antidote to years of drab twentieth century modelling.

Having read Chandler, I now feel that I have a basic handle on the period.  The book briefly covers the grand strategy of the period.  It stresses the importance of the huge logistic trains needed to keep the armies in the field and the consequent tendency for campaigns to mostly culminate in a single battle.  We then go on to cover in turn the organisation and tactics of horse, foot, artillery and engineers.  Technology, organisation and tactical role are covered in detail.  The focus is largely on French and British sources but there is some coverage of Dutch, German, Russian and Turkish thought and practice.

Having read the section on artillery I'm firmly of the view that the guys in this action (from a League of Augsburg game in Edinburgh) should be running flat out to get away from those burning ammunition wagons!