Saturday, March 10, 2012

On the Workbench - end of the motorway

One of the main terrain features for Crisis Point is the A73 motorway which runs along the western-most table to the town of Venlo.

We already have a terrific Autobahn (well, Autosnelweg in Dutch, I believe) that Stuart Adams built a couple of years ago for the Krefeld Salient game.  You can see it in use here. The problem is, though, how do I connect the motorway to the town?  I've decided to build an end-of-motorway terrain unit to connect to Stuart's road sections.


The base for the town section is an old table-mat but this is a little thinner than the 8mm MDF Stuart used for the Autobahn sections.  I'm therefore adding two layers of shaped card to the top of the mat.


By chamfering the edges of the card, I'll be able to have the roads gradually slope down to match the height of my magnet foam roads.

At this stage I'm waiting for the glue to dry on the first layer of card.  The books are to weight down the card and keep the whole flat whilst the glue dries.

No comments: