Sunday, December 20, 2020

Sun Domers vs Wolf Pirates

Diego and I played another game of inter-continental Hordes of the Things on Saturday.  He again chose the Sun Dome Templars whilst I decided to go back to using my favourite Gloranthan army - the Wolf Pirates.

I'm afraid I didn't get a full set of pictures to document the battle but here are the few I did take.


The Wolf Pirates were defending. Their Stronghold, the beached ship, can be seen above. Diagonally, between the two areas of Bad Going, you can see Argrath (Hero) and a Warband unit positioned to hold off an attempt by some Zebra Riders to threaten the Stronghold.


As with the previous battle, Diego seemed determined to avoid Bad Going. This probably wasn't unreasonable as his force of mostly Spears and Hordes is far better suited to the flat plains of Sun County.

He put his Spears, Hero and Paladin in the centre whilst his Shooters, Riders and Hordes formed a right wing that would advance to threaten my left.


The battle was bloody one. Both Paladins (Vega Goldbreath for the Sun Domers and Gunda the Guilty for the Wolf Pirates) were killed early in the action. Harrek the Berserk(Hero General) killed the Champion of Garhound (Hero) to give the Wolf Pirates what I thought would be a game-winning lead but then a 6:1 roll saw me lose two Warbands.

I thought the battle was won when Harrek managed to kill the Sun Domer General Solanthos Ironpike thanks to having turned the flank of the Spear unit immediately behind him and then forced him to recoil.  


But I'd forgotten that Diego needed to have lost both is General and more Army Points than me to lose the game. We fought on for one more turn before another 6:1 put paid to the one more Spear unit needed to break the Sun Domers' morale. 


That was a really enjoyable and hard-fought game. I think it was a mistake on Diego's part to strand his Hordes out on the right flank where they were always going to struggle to get into the action. 

I took a calculated risk and threw the Wolf Pirates forward hoping for a quick victory before he could threaten my Stronghold. I should have committed fully to that approach and gone with the full two-Heroes-and-a-Paladin front rank but at the last moment I decided to keep Argrath in reserve to keep the Zebra Riders away from my ship. As a result the big fight in the centre went on longer and was more bloody on my side than maybe it should have been.

Quote of the Day come from Diego: "Strongholds are pretty tough, otherwise they'd call them Weakholds".  



    

4 comments:

Khusru said...

Hi!
What a great idea for the beach. Could be a little more irregular to be more convincing.

Counterpane said...

Thanks Khusru! I agree but the problem is there's a maximum size for a HOTT Stronghold. Not much room for fancy shapes.

Diego said...

It was a joy to have a second match. Side talked topics included lunch recipes, quarantine, the cod wars and local funny names to label poor school marks.

I confess that I left behind my hordes in the corner for 2 whole turns, and paid the price for it. An important lesson to check out the whole army list before ending the turn.
Nothing more to add. Excellent rival, terrain, miniatures, etc. I will carefully schedule a next game.

Thank you and merry christmas to all the readers 😉.

Diego said...

It was a joy to have a second match. Side talked topics included lunch recipes, quarantine, the cod wars and local funny names to label poor school marks.

I confess that I left behind my hordes in the corner for 2 whole turns, and paid the price for it. An important lesson to check out the whole army list before ending the turn.
Nothing more to add. Excellent rival, terrain, miniatures, etc. I will carefully schedule a next game.

Thank you and merry christmas to all the readers 😉.