Saturday, January 29, 2022

Not the most useful model

Back in early 2020 my Mum was in hospital and I was spending evenings at her house in Wirral with nothing much to do. I decided to pop into the model shop in Birkenhead and pick up an Airfix starter kit to build. That way I'd get the paints and glue and only have to add a craft knife to give me everything I'd need.

The choice wasn't superb but I ended up going for the De Havilland Vampire T.11 trainer in New Zealand Air Force colours.

For various reasons I didn't get the plane finished until now. I briefly toyed with adding Andreivian roundels and using it in games, hence building it with the landing gear up. 


However in the end I decided just to get it out of the way using the decals provided. I've attached it to an old Matchbox flying stand that's probably been in my bits box for forty years.


Otherwise the only major divergence from starter kit was to use Vallejo silver paint (the Humbrol mini-pot provided had very poor covering power) and PVA to attach the canopy.

It wasn't too difficult to build but I stand by the conclusion I first reached as a teenager - tank kits are easier to build than aircraft.

7 comments:

Andy T said...

But then again, it's a cool looking aircraft and there's something to be said for just building and painting that is not for any particular project or army. Art for art's sake?

alastair said...

And any plane called a 'Vampire' is bound to be cool!

Elenderil said...

I dunno about tanks being easier than aircraft, the road wheels on the airfix Churchill were horrible to do! Your Vampire on the other hand is a really nice looking kit.

Counterpane said...

Andy, yes, I'm happy with the idea that sometimes just building a kit with no gaming aim in mind can be thereputic. See FW-190 to follow shortly!

Counterpane said...

Alstair. Thanks for commenting. It is quite cool-looking beast isn't it?

Counterpane said...

Elenderil

I think it's the fact that aircraft so easily show the gaps if the fuselage halves or the wing-roots don't fit together perfectly.

You're not wrong about the Airfix Churchill though. But did I read somewhere that you can actually glue on the road wheels before removing them from the sprue?

Andy T said...

I've read that too! Apparently the road wheels are perfectly spaced on the sprue so that you can glue them straight to the axles, then clip them off when dry. Of course, it would probably have helped if Airfix had actually told people about this. I remember that kit as a right pain in the @ss.