Saturday, November 4, 2023

3D printing progress

For a while recently my 3D printing progress ceased completely. Some kind of glitch was preventing my Ender-3 S1 pro from printing at all. It turned out that in responding to a broken filament I'd rethreaded the machine bypassing the filament sensor. Unfortunately the Ender's indication that this was the case was obscure in the extreme...

WTF?

Eventually, with the help of a user group on Facebook, I managed to sort out the problem and now I'm back up and printing.

I want to use some T-44s in the Prague Summer game and although one of my mates (Andy T?) has a few I thought it would be sensible to have some of my own just in case. I decided that I'd have a go at creating some.

T-44s not being available on Thingiverse as far as I can see, it looks to me like an approximation could be made using a T-54 hull and a T-34/85 turret. Thing was, though, I couldn't find a T-34 turret from M Bergman, my usual source of printable tanks. I thought the KV-85 turret was probably the same so I printed three T-54 hulls and three KV-85 turrets.

This turned out not to be the case so rather than waste the KV-85 turrets, I printed three hulls to go with them.

Three KV-85s

Not the most widely used Soviet tank but I'll keep them in case I need them later.

I've also been producing buildings for the Prague Summer game.


The two buildings on the right are from a collection of 15mm scale WW1 buildings that I've been scaling down to 34% of their original size. They're great for making ruined city blocks.

The one on the left was billed as a German railway station. It wasn't mean to have shattered roof but the print failed due to the model lacking the correct internal supports. With the windows being open, any internal supporting structures would be visible so I'm not going to print a fixed version. I think I can make this into a bombed-out municipal structure for down-town Stary Boleslav.

The final 3D products are these:


Created using Tinkercad, they are designed as status markers for Rogue Stars. A Rogue Stars character has to track three statuses - Stress, Pins, and Wounds. These are intended so micro-dice can be used to track these three statuses for each character.



4 comments:

Andy T said...

Morning Mr C. I do indeed have some T-44s and intend to expand them to a full battalion. At present I don't know if I'll be joining the Prague Summer game or staging a game with Neil but, either way, the T-44s will be available for the Prague game.

Counterpane said...

Cheers Andy!

Steve J. said...

3D printing machines are fickle and delicate creatures for sure. Glad to see you've got yours up and running again:).

Counterpane said...

Thanks Steve!