Saturday, August 15, 2026

Filling the Forest Floor

I have The Iron Hand of Mars, my scenario for Ebor Lard written (in two versions pending playtesting next weekend) so I'm working on improving the appearance of the game. Lardy Days always feature some fantastic terrain and I don't want to be left too far behind.

The entire table represents a portion of the dense German forest. There's no chance I could put down enough trees to represent that accurately, and if I did there'd be no room to deploy the units appearing in the game.

With spread-out singly based trees, there's a danger that the table resembles savannah with individual trees sprouting out of level grassland. I want some low-lying terrain pieces that tie together the trees into a coherent primeval forest.

I'm putting together a bag of "forest floor scatter" that will be strewn across the table but I've also taken the opportunity to make some generic small terrain pieces.


They're based on irregularly shaped "rafts" from my 3D printer. For some reason I find that I can only guarantee proper print-bed adhesion by selecting the Raft option when slicing stl files so I generate quite a few of these.

The ground surface is Bond It Dark Oak wood filler, the rocks are rocks and the vegetation is two grades of static grass over an initial layer of fine flock.

Revolting Batavians!

I've also been experimenting with a technique I picked up from a model railway magazine. This tree is made from a cheap, Chinese-made tree armature. I soaked it in hot water to get of the original fluorescent green foliage and then painted it with Modpodge before applying two shades of static grass using my applicator. 


After I'd left it to dry, the coverage of the original plastic wasn't complete so I sprayed the whole thing with WSS layering adhesive before applying a third lot of static grass. Finally a whizz of hairspray to try and lock it all in place. We'll just have to wait and see if this will have the longevity to withstand transporting and storage between games.

No comments: