Sunday, July 8, 2018

Mexican Progress

As a I said a while back, I'm inspired to have a go at producing a Sharp Practice force for the Maximilian Adventure.  When last we touched base I'd just bought a box of Perry plastic zouaves.

Time has moved on and I've managed to get a pleasing number of them converted into contra-guerrillas.  The first unit of eight are in a marching pose....


As is my practice these days they are painted to a standard that I consider good enough for wargaming.  They aren't going to win any painting competitions but they aren't going to sit unfinished in the box either. 


The only converting involved here was cutting down the baggy zouave breeches into overall trousers in line with the figure on the extreme right in this illustration...


... oh, and one of the guys has sandals rather than shoes.

Next up is a unit of skirmishers...


A rather more complex picture here.  Firstly there are three of the Perry plastics, this time assembled in the "charge" pose with the same conversion job on the trousers.

Then there are three guys from the Artisan Designs "Plains Infantry" bubble pack.  I've done head transplants to give them zouave-style caps which I think gives the unit a bit of coherence despite the fact that two of the figures are wearing the old, grey jackets initially worn by this unit.

Finally, the officer is an unmodified Wargames Foundry metal figure.


Also for this project I've got a wagon on the workbench...


It's a 4Ground general purpose wagon and I'm sure it'll add considerable character to my battle scenes.


3 comments:

Fire at Will said...

I thought Mexican progress = no progress due to the hot weather. I've certainly struggled with paint drying on the brushes when paining fine lines.

Counterpane said...

Yeah, it's too hot to do much painting.

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Great to see a bit more progress on the Mexican front. Agree too hot for painting, managed a few 20mm Germans and some terrain for Joy of Six but i've got a load of stuff to varnish but it will have to wait until it cools down a bit.