Friday, September 18, 2026

Sorry, which dice?

Just over a year ago I had a go at using The Pikeman's Lament to recreate a typical action from the Russo-Turkish War of 1711. This was a first attempt at using my 6mm Great Northern War collection with the Osprey renaissance large skirmish rules.


I used minimise in home-printed dice cups to keep track of casualties but it was a bit of a pain keeping track of them and making sure the right one stayed with the right unit.

With a bit of time on my hands I thought I'd have a go at designing something that would keep the die with the unit.

I designed a sabot that's 1mm thick and 3mm larger than my standard 30x60mm base in all directions. I then added a 1mm high wall around the edge and a 2mm high socket for a D6.


Adding a unit of Cossacks and a 7.5mm D6 we end up with...


I'm thinking that maybe a D6 could be used to indicate strength points from 6 down to 1. A Green die could them be used for strength 21 down to 7 for these Russian infantry of Sweden's Regiment...


I can then use other colours to distinguish between unit qualities. Perhaps these Tartars are "Elite" with their blue die...


And in this case two 30mm squares fit fine as well.

The next step was to paint the bases and add a bit of flock...


I'm happy with these; tempting me to have another go at The Pikeman's Lament (or of course they'd also work for Lion Rampant).




No comments: