Monday, March 28, 2016

That Mystery Object Completed

And it is, as Andy Canham guessed, a grounded satellite.  It's my rough and ready interpretation of an American KH11 spy satellite.


The structure is a cardboard tube (somewhat narrower and more robust than a toilet roll inner).  It's been detailed with oddments of card, plasticard and scraps of plastic.  On each side are broken-off pieces of Plastruct H-beam that represent the supports of the solar panels that would have been ripped off during reentry. The drogue parachute is made from linen thread and PVA-soaked tissue paper.


It doesn't show in these pics but having built the basic structure, I cut off an angled slice so I could show the satellite partly imbedded in the earth by the force of landing.


I guess in reality such a gentle landing is very unlikely without a much larger parachute but, hey, it's only a game!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Brilliant love it can't wait. Just got some finishing touches to do on the railway station and railway line and I am pretty much ready.

Unknown said...

Brilliant love it can't wait. Just got some finishing touches to do on the railway station and railway line and I am pretty much ready.

Counterpane said...

Thanks, Richard. I've got two days off this week so I should get some more terrain completed.

Likewise looking forward to the weekend.

Paul Foster said...

Lovely job!

Andy Canham said...

Great looking bit of terrain/objective. Excellent scratch build. Yes, looking forward to getting together next weekend, can't believe it's only 4 days away.

Cheers, Andy

Unknown said...

I know it has crept up on us. Railway line done just got to finish a level crossing and finish the base for the railway station.
Cheers
Richard P

Unknown said...

I know it has crept up on us. Railway line done just got to finish a level crossing and finish the base for the railway station.
Cheers
Richard P

Counterpane said...

Thanks for all your comments guys. I'm close to being ready to go. Most of the hardware aspects done; just need to sort out some more generic unit sheets.