Thursday, August 11, 2022

Picti!

Some time ago Richard Phillips acquired, and shared with me, some second hand 28mm Picts. They've been sitting in a box for some months but I recently had the urge to (re-)paint them and get them based up for Lion Rampant. Because they were already painted (albeit not brilliantly), I was able to finish them off in a very few days either side of our recent family trip to County Durham.

Mostly I've added plaid-type patterns to the cloth and I've given a few of them woad body-paint. I've also rebased them using the 1-2-3 basing style.

First up are a couple of units of warriors. One of the figures I got from Richard turned out to be unsuitable for use as a Pict (he's actually a Norman slinger) so I've replaced him with a leader on a horse. 

The mounted leader is based on a character in a historical novel I read recently. He's wearing mail and a captured Roman cavalryman's face-mask.

I've used brown grass tufts on all of the bases as I wanted to give the impression of these guys emerging from boggy ground.

Finished some time previously was this unit of skirmishers.


Again I've used a mounted figure in this ostensibly infantry unit. I suspect the Picts didn't use a set of Wargames Research Group army lists when organising their warbands!

I mentioned a Norman slinger that was among the figures. I've repainted this one completely and will probably use him in Glorantha skirmish games.


4 comments:

Tales from Shed HQ said...

They look great Mr C 👍

Counterpane said...

Cheers Richard!

Steve J. said...

They look very nice to me. The 1-2-3 basing style always looks good for skirmish games and certainly makes moving the figures much easier.

Counterpane said...

Thanks Steve!