Having tried out To the Strongest! on an improvised battlefield made from an old bed-sheet and found it good, I decided I'd better have a go at producing something a little more permanent. A trip to Antics Models in Sheffield provided me with a couple of rolls of textured paper made by a company called Javis.
I had a sheet of MDF in mind (it's the back side of the grey, textured sheet I use for Pulp Alley games) about 31" x 36" and I knew two rolls would cover it but only if I cut them very precisely. I would also end up with several prominent joins running across the board. I therefore decided to go with a crazy paving approach, making a virtue of the fact that I had two different shades of green. In the end I had three colours as I inserted some bits of old static-grass-coated sheet that I had from years ago. The small gaps were filled with flock and/or painted and dry-brushed sand.
Finally, I marked out a 3" square grid marking the intersections first with a pencil and then with a red CD marker.
This was the result:
And with some terrain added:
Seen at normal gaming distance, the spots are visible but I think not too intrusive:
My Late Roman Army is beginning to look reasonably effective when deployed en masse. Mr Berry will be getting yet more of my money soon though.