Friday, May 2, 2014

A Study in Dunkelgelb

I'm gradually getting my 20mm scale mid- to late-WW2 German vehicles repainted in a common shade of dunkelgelb; the dark yellow colour most commonly used as a base coat.

My recipe is from a posting on The Guild and uses successive layers of GW Stormvermin Fur (was Charadon Granite), Baneblade Brown (was Khemri Brown), and Vallejo Iraqi Sand (has always been Iraqi Sand).  The disruptive patterns on top are then Reflective Green and Saddle Brown, both from Vallejo.

I took a couple of pictures of the progress so far.  It's not a coherent unit but the random selection of models I've acquired over the years, some because I built them as modelling projects when I was a kid. I call them Kampfgruppe Odsenzods....

Rear rank left to right: heavily modified Airfix StuG III, modified PST KW-II Beutepanzer, heavily modified Midori Flakpanzer Moebelwagen.
Middle rank left to right: Modified Matchbox Jagdpanther, Matchbox Jagdpanzer IV, Airfix Panzer IV Ausf F2, Matchbox Panzer III, modified Matchbox Panzer III.
Front rank left to right: Airfix Kubelwagen, Matchbox SdKfz 251/1, unknown white metal SdKfz 250, Matchbox SdKfz 251/1.

Also of interest here is the different appearance of the two pictures.  They were taken in identical lighting conditions but the one below has my camera (a Fuji Finepix F11) set to macro mode.



4 comments:

BigRedBat said...

Looking very effective!

Counterpane said...

Thanks, Simon. I'l never be in your league when it comes to painting but I'm fairly satisfied with them as wargames models.

BigRedBat said...

They look good! I'd be tempted to hit them with some of those compounds that make them look dirty.

I have found myself thinkign about doing some WW2 skirmish; CoC, perhaps.

Counterpane said...

I've heard lots of good things about Chain of Command (surely CoC is still "Call of Cthulhu"?) but I don't currently feel the need to move away from Arc of Fire, which works well for my purposes.