Thursday, January 21, 2016

Check source twice; paint once

I painted up the first of what will eventually be a dozen Burgundian ordonnance archers...


Then I checked against Embleton and Howe's The Medieval Soldier.  And of course I've got the blue and white halves of the livery jacket the wrong way round!  Repaint to follow shortly!


While I'm at it I've also decided that the grey hose need more shading so I'm going to have a go with a home-made dip (watered-down matt varnish with some brown paint).  I'll also do the next figure in brighter-than-usual colours and see if the dip tones them down acceptably.

5 comments:

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Ooops!! :-)

Springinsfeld said...

If it were my mistake, I would leave it.... I dare say such things happened in the 1470's. I once painted the Scottish saltire with reversed colours by mistake. Nice painting.

Counterpane said...

You're probably right but I did another figure, the right way round, last night and it really did stand out. I've slapped on the paint to correct the mistake and I'll tidy him up tonight.

Mike said...

Nice work! I would not have noticed...
Livery in this period is a minefield - I've mixed up left and rights in the same unit to cover myself :)

Counterpane said...

Thanks for the comment Mike.

I've just realised that a couple of Burgundian hand gunners that are on the shelf awaiting some reinforcements to make another unit are also swapped over. I think I'll take your advice and leave them.