Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Vallejo paint names

Just doing a bit of base-coating.  Is it very wrong that I paint winter Soviets in English Uniform and late-war British vehicles in Russian Uniform?


Tim Gow said...

Best not to read the names - just go by the colours.

Andrew Canham said...

I agree with Tim. English uniform is too dark for WW2 British battledress and not green enough for Canadian. Russian uniform is great for khaki drab British vehicles and helmets, and I use it as a dry brush over Russian Green for modern Soviet vehicles. I've not tried it myself, but am told Japanese uniform is great for anything but WW2 Japanese uniforms.

As they say, "A rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet!"

Cheers, Andy

Richard Phillips said...

I think most of us are of the same opinion.
Richard P

Paul Foster said...

Every comment here is spot on!

ice post!

Wg Cdr Luddite said...

You convert to Humbol of course !

English Uniform is Vallejo 921 = Humbol 29 Dark Earth.
Russian Uniform is Vallejo 924 = Humbrol 159 Khaki Drab.


Counterpane said...


Sod that for a game of soldiers. I have no wish to go back to the days of white spirit and enamels flaking off plastic figures. Or do you mean Humbrol acrylics?

Wg Cdr Luddite said...

Which ever flavour you prefer. My point is Humbrol colours are named in British English and would therefore solve your problem.