Tuesday, October 24, 2023

More... stuff

I managed to get in another playtest session of Harpers Ferry this Sunday but was too busy to take any photos. Thanks are due to Mark K, Rob C, and Jamie for volunteering as guinea pigs.

This time we tried to get in a bit of Act Two - the Storming of the Engine House - but I'm beginning to think I may have to restrict the Steel Lard games to Act One - a three hour slot may just be too tight to get both in.

One thing we did decide would be a useful addition to the game is some way of recording whether a given figure is using his long arm (musket or Sharps Rifle) or his pistol. I'm going to produce some small laminated cards with a rifle on one side and a six-shooter on the other. These can be flipped over when the character swaps weapons. I'll do a few pistol-and-sword ones too for the militia and marine officers.

I decided that I wanted a figure or two to represent more hostages and maybe freed slaves working with the abolitionists. I put in an order to Redoubt and got a couple of packs that looked useful for townsfolk. 


These street urchins can be scattered around the edge of the board as potential innocent victims of missed shots, while the townsfolk include a number of potentially useful types:


I've started on my version of the slave figure, painted and gloss varnished so far:


Meanwhile I've been doing quite a bit of work on stuff for the eventual Prague Summer 1948 game.


A couple of 3D printed buildings here, both of them duplicates of ones I've previously used, and a well by Leven Miniatures. The piece with the well is sized to bring the building piece up to the same depth (9cm) as several of my urban bases. It can go in front of the left-hand house or behind it or be used somewhere else entirely.

Finally, I carved about a very old FW190 model to make an approximation to a Soviet La-5FN fighter.



 


4 comments:

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Those Redoubt civilian figures look great. Really enjoying following this project Mr C 👍

Counterpane said...

Cheers Richard! I'm sure we can get you involved in a play through at some point.

Steve J. said...

Nice work there and always good to have some civvies around, either for decoration or to join in the with action as NPCs.

Counterpane said...

Thanks Steve. They look like they could be useful for a wide range of settings.