Thursday, December 28, 2023

New Year Plans

I hope you had a good Christmas. If you didn't because you or your spouse (Hi Odette!) was poorly, I hope you have a better New Year.

For me, this year was dominated, hobby-wise, by the preparations to run Harpers Ferry at Steel Lard and Posh Lard. 

Having spent so much time building the terrain and researching the history, it feels like I got in less gaming than usual this year.  Looking back at the records, though, I find that I played in or ran 19 gaming sessions using six different sets of rules (The Pikeman's Lament, What A Cowboy, HOTT, TacWWII, Chain of Command, and Rogue Stars). And I'll be running Song of Blades and Heroes tomorrow so make that seven. That's actually right up there with the last few years.

Anyway, now I've been thinking about wargaming plans for 2024. I'm sure my priorities will change as the year goes on but it won't do any harm to put down some markers now.

I would like to run some more games at Lardy Days next year but I'd like a project that doesn't dominate as much as Harpers Ferry did this time around. As I've said previously, I'm tempted to go back to the Maximilian Adventure and run a participation game based on the siege of Puebla. I already have a lot of suitable figures and a combination of existing adobe buildings with some from the Woebetides I reckon I'm close to being able to field a 6'x4' urban board.

The Wali of Smut's palace may find a new role
as the penitentiary in Puebla

Speaking of the Woebetides, I put a lot of work put into the setting in preparation for Crisis Point back in September 2021. The event didn't really work as well as I would have liked because I took on too much of a burden as the sole umpire. Disappointed, I put the toys away and largely went on to other things afterwards. 

As a result I don't feel like I've properly got value-for-effort out of the Woebetides toys. I'd like to put that right and maybe run a small (possibly solo?) campaign inspired by one of my Christmas presents...


My previous approach to campaigns has been quite freeform. I've tended to avoid detailing too much in advance and instead allowed events to develop organically. The Woebetides might be a good place to try out Henry's more prescriptive approach and specify the populations and military forces of the islands in frankly excessive detail!  

Finally on the Sharp Practice front, Richard Phillips and I have been threatening to explore Marshal Macdonald's advance to Riga during the summer and autumn of 1812. Family matters have kept getting in the way this year but I'm hopeful we can get something going in 2024.


Away from the horse and musket era, I am keen to play some more TacWWII this year. At the moment the plan is to hold a Crisis Point event in Dungworth this spring. If it goes ahead I intend that one of the games on offer be my Prague Summer 1948 - The Race to Stary Boleslav.

I say "if it goes ahead" as initial response to the idea of another Crisis Point was a little muted. Early in the New Year I plan to raise the proposal once more and find out whether there's sufficient enthusiasm to justify going ahead. If there isn't I may switch to just running my own game at some point during the year, probably at the village hall instead. Either way I'll need to get in some practice games to make sure I have the rules down and to test some of the house rules I've included in my version 1.5.

That aside there's a good chance I'll get Chain of Command to the table at some point; old mate Stuart and new acquaintance Matt have asked to have a session to help them learn the rules. I'd also like to have some more games of Rogue Stars and Shot, Steel and Stone before too long.

Doubtless other things will come up during the year and who knows, maybe some or all of the above will still be on the To Do List in December 2024?

2 comments:

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Looking forward to getting a lot more games in 2024 especially our SP Napoleonic campaign. 2023 was not a great year but things are looking a lot better for 2024. Would really like to revisit the Woebetides 👍

Counterpane said...

Cheers Richard. Let's schedule some games.