Monday, May 30, 2016

So what have I been up to?

As usual, I've been failing to concentrate properly on the game that's got a deadline coming up. This happens at work too but at least there I can blame other people badgering me to get stuff done for their particular project.

Right now I should be concentrating on getting myself ready to run big game of Chain of Command at Gauntlet in July.  And to some extent I have been working on that.  I've had several goes at playing Chain of Command solo to try out different bits of the rules.

I tried adapting one of the scenarios from Grossdeutschland at Kursk:



I've also played a few straight up scenarios from the rules.   I'm increasingly thinking that the initial patrol scenario's not particularly interesting.  It seems to bog down a bit when everything is on the table.

I'm also entirely on board with the suggestion in the rules that the British infantry and motor platoons will always have to out-manoever their German opponents.  They ain't gonna win by firepower alone!


The most recent game, below, was  about exploring the terrain classes in the game and seeing how I could use them to model different real world structures. For example, the row of trees beside the standalone garage of the ruined cottage provide no cover at ground level  but because of their dose foliage they provide light cover to both outgoing and incoming fire for any troops in position on the roof.

I've also been working on a platoon of Soviet infantry in winter dress for Gauntlet.  They are a mix of Italeri and Revell plastics:


When they're finished I want to add some snow to their bases.  Not sure yet what material I'll use to do that.


Less suitable use of my time has been the painting of these Gripping Beast plastic Late Romans for the Bacaudae Campaign.  I quite like these chaps.  Better photos when they're painted.


I've also been resurrecting these Hun Nobles (Foundry I think) that I got on the Bring and Buy at Vapnartak.  I'm repainting the horses from scratch but I'm managing to retain most of the original paintwork on the riders.



3 comments:

Richard Naylor said...

I've played quite a bit of Chain of Command and I really enjoy playing it even though I don't yet fully understand all its subtleties (the patrol phase especially). One thing we have found is that you do need to be careful with the placement of buildings so that they don't unduly dominate the game if occupied. That said if you have support from something that can fire a decent HE round buildings aren't so much of an issue as you can either pin or force out the occupants.

If you're ever in the Chorley area I be happy to host a game of CofC

Pete. said...

I too found the early scenarios in the Grossdeutschland at Kursk rather unsatisfying. Rather unbalanced too, What adaptations did you make?

Cheers,

Pete.

Counterpane said...

Sorry, Pete, perhaps I was a little unclear. It's the first scenario in Chain of Command I've had issues with.

In my, admittedly very limited, experience they can bog down when both sides have got their toys on the table and their units into defensive positions. Neither side then has enough firepower to winkle out the other.

However, this my be a result of playing solo and knowing that the opposition are trying to achieve if they do move.

Richard