Monday, January 23, 2023

Bookshop finds

A recent trip to a local second-hand bookshop (the one where I got the Battles and Leaders of the Civil War set) produced a fine haul of reference material.


The Civil War in Art - A Visual Odyssey by Doranne Jacobson is a coffee table book full of reproductions of paintings and photographs of the ACW. I thought it would be useful, if nothing else for the portrayals of civil war battlefields to support terrain building.

The Union Cavalry in the Civil War by Stephen Z Starr is a well-researched and densely footnoted study of the subject and I'm already a chapter into it. The narrative as I understand it is that Union cavalry is initially outclassed by their Confederate counterparts but that with experience and Sharps breech-loading carbines, they eventually come to dominate. I'll be interested to see if this turns out to be the case.

Finally, Russian Eyewitness Accounts of the Campaign of 1814 by Alexander Mikaberidze is a couple of years out from the 1812 mini-campaign Richard Phillips and I are working towards but it's got to provide some useful insights, surely?

Fifteen quid for the lot strikes me as tremendous value for what must be fabulous Sharp Practice research material.



5 comments:

Steve J. said...

Another good haul there. Sadly I rarely go into Bristol anymore where there were a few good second hand bookshops pre-covid, but not sure if they're still going.

Counterpane said...

Cheers Steve! A good second hand bookshop is a joy.

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Excellent haul 👍 That 1814 book sounds interesting

Counterpane said...

Cheers Richard. If you're over this way and I haven't started it you're welcome to borrow it.

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Great thanks 👍