Friday, July 14, 2023

A recent build

In the middle of working on the office building for Harpers Ferry, I suddenly felt the urge to produce something simple and quick. I stumbled upon a triangular PVC board base whose edges I'd previously rounded and chamfered so it made sense to stick something on it.

A cardboard carton that had contained something like cotton buds was an obvious start to a sci-fi storage tank. I added some plating from cut-up business cards. It could have had some kind of heavy weapon emplacement on the top but instead I just decided to portray a disused storage tank that some waste-dweller had converted into a dwelling.


I cut a crude hole in the tank as a doorway and then used the same fine corrugated card I've used for the Harpers Ferry tin roofs to define the edges of the entrance path. I then built up piles of windblown sand around the tank and the pathway using offcuts of foamcore covered with quick-drying Polyfilla. A coat of PVA and a scattering of sand completed the build.

Having painted the whole thing with Modpodge to seal it, I undercoated everything in the traditional Bitter Chocolate exterior masonry paint.

The base was then dry-brushed in progressively paler colours ending with a pale grey to pick out the larger stones in my coarse sand mix.

The tank got a base coat of various rusty oranges and browns and then a light dry brush in gunmetal before I added a partial coat of mid-blue and some watered-down orange rust streaks. 




Apart from drying time I reckon the whole thing was done in a couple of hours. Now I just need to find space for it in one of my sci-fi terrain storage boxes!

5 comments:

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Nice work Mr C 👍

Dex McHenry said...

I like it. Nice and simple.

Counterpane said...

Thanks both! Nice and simple was what I was going for.

Steve J. said...

Love to see this sort of scratch building, which takes me back to my very formative years way back in the early 1970's. Excellent result and I'm currently collecting some items for something similar and along a sci-fi theme:).

Counterpane said...

Thanks for commenting Steve.

I strongly recommend giving it a go. There's something very satisfying and relaxing about building sci-fi terrain from junk. You've lost nothing if it goes wrong and to be honest, "wrong" is hard to achieve when you're not following any kind of historical prototype!