Monday, May 6, 2024

Another Gnat

My flirtation with building model kits just for the hell of it pretty much dried up but I did want to do another Folland Gnat to display alongside the RAF Valley trainer aircraft. 

I fancied the Yellowjacks display team version as I thought it would look great alongside the red trainer. Unfortunately when I did find one things didn't go according to plan. I knew a gloss yellow paint scheme really needed to be sprayed rather than brush painted so I invested in a rattle can from B&Q. Sadly I rather cocked up by spraying the paint on too thick.

However, I found a Airfix starter set of the Red Arrows version, which gave me another go at the airframe. This long weekend has given me a chance to have another go.


It's far from being a perfect job but I'm prepared to live with it. This isn't the easiest kit to get right.


I do like to see the two models together as part of what's becoming a small collection of early British jets.




4 comments:

Neil said...

I look forward to seeing more early British jets. Venoms, Javelins etc. And I joined you in spending the weekend painting up a model airplane, just for the hell of it. A nice change.

Counterpane said...

Thanks Neil.

Somewhere I have the Airfix Guide to Modelling Jet Fighters. If I recall correctly it has a chapter on improving the ancient Airfix Seahawk. I might have a go at that if I can find one.

Steve J. said...

Excellent work on both of those Gnats:). We used to hate working on models that required a yellow colour, as it is a pain to get right, even with the correct coloured undercoat!

Counterpane said...

Thanks Steve!