Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Numidian Infamy!

The son and heir came over on Sunday and we had another practice game of Infamy Infamy. Rather than setting up the Iron Hand of Mars terrain with its enormous number of trees, I decided we'd have another go at a scenario based on the Numidian Civil War of 118 BCE.


I played Adherbal, one of the rival Numidian kings. I had one unit of spearmen (Warriors in Infamy Infamy terms) and a few skirmishers and cavalry but all of my troops had to dice to emerge from their tents and might start the game with unfortunate amounts of Shock as a result of the surprise attack.


Jamie took on the role of fictional Jugurthine commander Arabio leading a mixed force of javelin-armed fort and cavalry skirmishers. 

Jugurthine cavalry chase off some of Adherbal's skirmishers

We used the Numidians I based some years ago for To The Strongest. They're on 12cm wide unit bases with so, with no figure removal possible, we used blue micro dice to mark losses. 


The game was fun, with lots of darting attacks but it pointed out a problem with the Infamy Infamy rules in this particular historical setting. With forces made up almost entirely of skirmishing troops, it was almost impossible for either side to lose Force Morale. This was because:
  • You don't test for morale loss if Skirmish troops are forced to withdraw (only if they're completely wiped out),
  • You don't test for morale loss if Warriors withdraw due to being shot at (rather than in melĂ©e) , and
  • The wounding or death of Supra numerum Leaders (predominant on both sides) is ignored in the game.


In the end we called it a day with the attackers well on top but unable to force a result. We were nevertheless happy to have improved our familiarity with the rules.

I'm in two minds as to whether to pursue this scenario further. I could see it making an attractive participation game for an event like Hammerhead but I'd want to:
  • Model the camp properly, perhaps with a rampart of thorn bushes defining the boundary of the broken ground,
  • Model the walls of Cirta at the city end of the table,
  • Think more clearly about the mechanisms around deploying surprised units onto the table,
  • Revise the Loss of Force Morale table to capture the factors likely to cause a Numidian army to break, and
  • Add more "character" Leaders to both sides.
I want to get to the point where my familiarity with Infamy Infamy is such that I can immediately see how I could use the rules to run a variety of small unit actions. I'm there with Sharp Practice but the varied nature of ancient armies makes this a bit more challenging.










No comments: