Sunday, December 27, 2020

Discord game tomorrow

 I'd normally be hosting a couple of games in person over the Christmas period but that's obviously not going to happen this year. 

So in lieu I decided to have a go at running a game by Discord. Rather than playing a conventional game with the players able to see the events on-table via webcam, I having another go at the remote-commanders-giving-orders-based-on-a-map-and-reports-from-subordinates approach. I don't think I've done one of those in about twenty years!

We're exploring what might have happened if Rommel's 7th Panzer Division had encountered de Gaulle's 4th Armoured Division in 1940.

We'll be using the Tac:WW2 rules but these will be pretty much invisible to the players with just Jamie and I needing them to work out what happens.

I'll report later on how things go.


 

6 comments:

A J said...

An interesting scenario. Looking forward to the AAR.

Counterpane said...

I'll try and get it done later today, AJ.

Richard

Wg Cdr Luddite said...

Ooh, I'm sorry I missed that -looks like it was fun !

Geoff said...

Nice AAR - it inspired me to track down a copy of Tac:WW2 but I've yet to try it. Written orders are unfashionable these days but I can't think how else to model real armies' behaviour properly. There seems to be a loophole in that modes are not tied to orders, so a retreating battalion could put its companies into attack mode. Presumably your gentlemanly group frowns on such gamesmanship?
Geoff Bowers, Staffordshire.

Counterpane said...

Geoff, only just seen this comment. Thanks.

The description of the attacking modes allows for them to be used for movement away from the enemy. I tend to think of them as reflecting how the component elements of the platoons are behaving. A unit in Deliberate Attack mode probably has two sections on overwatch while one is moving, whether that’s towards the enemy or away from it.

Note that units in full retreat are likely to be effectively (or actually) in March Mode.

Richard

Geoff said...

Richard, since that post (in the wrong place) I've examined the rules closely and scoured the web for opinions of them. Martin Rapier, who I don't know but whose views are close to mine,likes them and still uses a modded version. Tac and Spearhead seem to be the only rules with literal (not abstracted/randomised) command and control. I also like that TaC recognises companies; that I'll keep while changing and adding some details - and getting others at my club to give TaC a go. Your AAR attracted me because when I got into 10mm BKC I wanted to avoid all the late war super kit and made quite large forces (close to a division a side) for France 1940. Time to dig those out again! Geoff.