Monday, August 9, 2021

More Woebetides Toys

Richard Phillips very kindly sent me an Empires At War MDF kit of a caravanserai for my birthday.  It's been completed for a while but I've only just got around to photographing it. You can see it here on my new Deepcut Studio cobblestones city mat.


As you can see from the 28mm figures on the walls, this thing is huge. It will serve as the Wali of Smut's palace at Crisis Point but even so I might leave some of the sections out and/or have it on the edge of the table with only the front and side walls actually used. Available space will determine this when we start to see things set up.


Thank you Richard, this is a marvellous addition to the Woebetides terrain!


The Wali is a non-player senior commander in the campaign. It's not fair to have a player have to sit by and defend the palace just in case it's attacked so I'm not going to "waste" a playable force for the role; just have a few spare figures to represent the Wali's household troops. 

I was keen to try and include some Indian rocket-armed troops in the game if possible. The Sharp Practice rules for rockets are such fun. Having some rocketeers on the walls of the palace to shoot at any foreign forces that come too close seemed like a good idea.

I'm out of suitable 28mm figures (in fact my 28mm leadpile is now negligible) but I do have some odd fantasy assassin/ninja types that look vaguely Middle Eastern. They came from the Box of Delights that reached me from Tim Gow before making its way onward to Richard P.

I decapitated one of the figures and chopped off his oversized (and empty) scabbard before adding a spare plastic head from the Perry Mahdists box. I made a rocket by attaching a length of cocktail stick to a spear. I added straps from paper and a fuse from a length of black thread. At the time I took the photo I had yet to paint the base.

Ideally I should have five figures in an artillery unit. I'm not sure I can be bothered creating four more such guys but I've got some additional rockets on the production line. I might just bulk out the unit with some generic Middle Eastern types to remove when casualties are taken. Actually, I wonder if I could create a base with a brazier? They'll need something to light their fuses from!



2 comments:

Tales from Shed HQ said...

That looks great Mr C. Hopefully there will be room to get the whole thing on the table. I think with all the amazing work people are doing we need to have a Woebetides outing to a Lardies event.

Counterpane said...

Yeah, that would be a good idea.

I've run one Woebetides game at Virtual Lard but one at a face-to-face event would certainly boost the visibility of Crisis Point.