Sunday, October 3, 2021

More for the VDV (later on)

Further delving through the box of assorted 1/300th scale junk saw me uncovering a (CWC) battalion's worth of BMD-1s.  This is a bit later than the ASU-57s; they entered service in 1969 so it's unlikely they'd ever have seen action in the same operation.


Effectively the airborne version of the BMP-1 and carrying a 73mm low pressure gun and top-mounted Sagger ATGW, the BMD gave Soviet airborne troops a significant increase in parachute-delivered firepower.


Again, I don't know the manufacturer. I think these models may be a bit over scale but it's nice to be able to field BMD-1s in both 20mm and 6mm.


7 comments:

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Excellent! Sure they'll be a few of those on the table in Grimsby this weekend 👍

Counterpane said...

Have a great time at the weekend! I look forward to seeing some reports from the guys.

Neil said...

Indeed, I'm looking forward to the first reports from the Front. But I even hear that Mr Taylor has everything ready and will actually be getting a solid nights sleep before the game. Until he realises he needs a bridge and ferry unit or something... Nice VDV though, give them a spin out in a little game and get the 6mm bug again!

Counterpane said...

Actually, Neil, I’ve been looking at your Khemed stuff and thinking that I might have a go at something similar as a solo side-project. It would be good to give my Spanish marine brigade a job they’re well suited for (unlike the Broughton big game where they were beaten before they entered the table!)

Cold War Commanders said...

Mr Taylor ready! In my Victor Meldrew voice "I don't believe it!"

Neil said...

I'd definitely like to see your Spanish marines in action. Would they be going up against a comparable force or more of an asymmetric campaign? Maybe it could be the Spanish marines in Yugoslavia instead of the US in Hackett's TW3?

Neil said...

WW3 that is.