Monday, November 15, 2021

Battered GNW Russians

My progress on gradually painting up odds and sods of previously unused 6mm stuff has now reached the Great Northern War.  I had a small number of Baccus 6mm Russian infantry left over and I thought I'd have a go at producing a unit that's been under fire for some time.

Using the Shot, Steel and Stone rules it's unlikely that a unit will ever get down to a single 30mm square base before routing off the table so I decided to make a two-base (60x30mm) base that could be used as a unit in its own right or swapped in for a particular three-base unit after it has taken a base's worth of casualties. Alternatively, if I go back to Black Powder, it'll serve a small unit.

I'd normally use four strips of musketeers, one of pike and a command strip for a unit of this size but while I had loads of command strips going spare I was down to three of musketeers and no spare pikes.


I decided to sculpt on the base a couple of casualties (from Green Stuff) and I found a spare dismounted dragoon who could be added as a straggler.


Green Stuff also allowed me to create a couple of spent cannon balls that have ploughed themselves to the soft ground on which these Russians stand. The flag is by Baccus.

I'm now down to just a few generals and infantry command elements. I'm tempted to have a go at producing a selection of Russian and Swedish generals. 


2 comments:

Cold War Commanders said...

Loving the cannonballs. Great touch👍

Counterpane said...

Thanks Mr Shed!