Saturday, October 29, 2022

The Golden Hind

I'm currently enjoying building models and painting them regardless of any future gaming usefulness. Yesterday saw me dig out two rather battered old examples of the Airfix Golden Hind kit. This is the old kit that dates back to the mid-1950s, not the newer 1/72nd scale kit they produced in recent years. I reckon this model is about 1/350th scale so it could in theory work alongside my Great Northern War 6mm armies.


The two models, which had been built probably in the late 1970s, were both somewhat damaged but I managed to get one half-decent model out of them.

I did consider having a go at rigging the model but in the end I decided against as I don't have any suitable thread and I'd rather just get the model done to a useable wargaming standard.

I haven't added any flags at this stage as I thought it would be good to keep it as generic as possible until I have a scenario that needs a ship. 


4 comments:

Steve J. said...

That takes me back to my Airfix days when you used to see the kit in the local modelshop. I'm in favour of wargames standard rather than rigging, as Sod's Law I'd damage it almost straight away!

Counterpane said...

Thanks Steve! You're not wrong there - I don't think I could manage to manoeuvre a rigged ship of this size around the table without trashing it!

Sonic said...

I'm trying to finish a Victory in this scale. But it will be for display, not wargaming, as my 2mm Napoleonics are on the to-do list for 2025.

Counterpane said...

Cheers Sonic. I guess scale of the Airfix Victory will be a bit smaller - the larger ship being depicted about the same size as the Golden Hind? Should work fine with 2mm figures though.