Friday, March 31, 2023

Out in the Fields

At Vapnartak last month I bought some Eastern European peasant figures by Bifröst Miniatures from the Warbases trade stand. I thought they'd probably come in useful for our planned 1812 Sharp Practice games.


When designing scenarios for either of the Too Fat Lardies narrative-focussed, large skirmish systems (Infamy Infamy and Sharp Practice) it's helpful to have civilians available as plot devices. They can be maidens in distress, sources of intelligence on enemy movements or just a source of player paranoia! 

A maiden - not currently in distress

What do these guys know?

Do these count as Big Choppers?

The figures were enjoyable to paint and I reckon they'd work for Eastern Europe right into the twentieth century. Actually, at least some of them might serve as European immigrant farm workers for ACW games.

11 comments:

pancerni said...

They are nice, and will fit in along time period for Europe based scenarios. . You have done them up well..

Counterpane said...

Thank you, my armoured, Polish fiend. ;-)

Counterpane said...

Or rather friend!

Steve J. said...

You've done a great job on those ans as you say, they can cover quite a large time frame and countries. These days I'm slowly adding civilians to 'decorate' my bigger games and when I do play skirmish games, they are useful for the reasons you've stated.

Cold War Commanders said...

They look great Mr C. An excellent addition to the population of Riga.

Cold War Commanders said...

Third picture down, is that Lance and Andy? :-)

Counterpane said...

Thanks Steve. What rules do you play?

Counterpane said...

Thanks Richard. Don't think I know Lance and I'm not convinced Andy's beard is quite the extensive!

I thought the guy in the dark red waistcoat might pass for a character from Fiddler on the Roof.

Tales from Shed HQ said...

I meant the chaps from the Detectorists 👍

Steve J. said...

Lion Rampant and its variants for my skirmish games. I helped playtest the rules, so am a bit biased, but I find them a lot easier to play than say Sharp Practice II, which has too much detail for me. For bigger games Black Powder II and again its variants, which makes it easier to hop from one period to the next, as the mechanics are braodly the same.

Counterpane said...

I like Lion Rampant but Sharp Practice is my favourite set of rules, mainly because of the way narrative runs through it like a running-through-things type of thing.