Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Books and authors

Yesterday brought some good news and some bad. In the morning this arrived. 


It's something of a classic and I was very surprised when Stella found it on line for about £9. It's a book I had out of my local library on almost permanent loan when I was a kid and I later obtained photocopies of most if not all of the contents but I always wanted a copy of my own. An Italian Wars large skirmish game is an appealing idea. Perhaps an adaptation of Sharp Practice or Muskets and Tomahawks? I guess Donnybrook would be closer to the period but I've never played it.

The bad news was a note picked up via Facebook that Ian Heath has passed away. I never met the guy but, like Don Featherstone before him, his books have been key reference material for me since, well, when I was first reading the Gush book.

Fight hard in Valhalla Ian!



4 comments:

Steve J. said...

Certainly a great find on the Gush book front and one I would like to add to my library one day. Sad, sad news about Ian Heath, who was one of those names that never got the praise and publicity he deserved. Fight hard indeed!

Neil Patterson said...

Sad news.
Neil

Cold War Commanders said...

Great find! Sad news about Ian Heath! I shall be revisiting the Ian Heath section of my bookshelves in memory of a fine fellow.

tradgardmastare said...

Great news re your excellent find. I still have my red paperback copy.
Sad news indeed re Ian Heath. I have all his wrg books and they have given me inspiration and information in equal measure over the years.