Monday, April 17, 2023

What 'What a Cowboy' Cowboys have I got?

With What a Cowboy pre-ordered, I thought I'd have a dig through the current collection to see what painted minis I have that will suit the game.

At least initially I'm aiming to use the rules for the earlier end of the Western genre - the run up to the American Civil War. As such, a number of my ACW irregulars will work just fine. First up are these guys. They were finished recently and represent the contents of Foundry's "Armed Civilians" pack.


They've come out looking a bit shiny in this photo. They're less so in real life but I think I will give them another going-over with matt varnish.

By the way, I'm using Humbrol Acrylic Matt Varnish at present. If any one knows of a better, brush-on, water-based varnish I'd be interested to hear.

Next up we have another Foundry set. This time, if I recall correctly, "Dismounted Irregular Cavalry".


Another load of Foundry figures next. I've had these guys for years and think they come from a number of different packs. Some of them have previously served as guerrillas in my Mexican Republican force for Sharp Practice. I have a lot of other suitable figures and buildings if I decided to go south of the border to run a What a Cowboy campaign one day.



Moving to other manufacturers, these guys look like they'd work. I believe they are old Call of Cthulhu miniatures from Citadel but I may be wrong. 


The left hand two were, I believe, painted by my wife 30-odd years ago. I'm not sure the clergyman's dress  is in-period and he does appear to be thrusting his cross at some giant hideous-unknowable-blasphemy but you never know when you might need such a character. Maybe he's just calling on the Almighty to give the citizens of Rock Ridge the courage they need to face the trials ahead?

Moving away from the core setting, I've seen someone on Facebook suggesting that they might use What a Cowboy to model the adventures of a certain Victorian sleuth.


The bobby here is, I think, from the Pulp Miniatures range by Bob Murch. Holmes and Watson are older figures, again I think painted by Stella, probably from Grenadier Miniatures?

Finally we have a couple of characterful civilians. This first guy was a gift from Tom Davis. I suspect he's probably yet another Foundry miniature but I haven't checked their catalogue to be sure.



And finally another figure who may be a tad out of period but I think might work. I'm pretty sure he's another Pulp figure. I just love the sword cane.








4 comments:

Andy Canham said...

Great looking figures. Should serve very well in the "Old West".

I've been using Galleria matt varnish available at Hobbycraft or, somewhat cheaper at The Range if they have it in stock. Bottle needs a good shake initially and then a less vigorous shake before each use. Dries absolutely matt and seems to handle wear and tear well. I used to use a Galleria gloss coat first, but found it didn't seem to want to harden up during the summer months last year, so have given up on gloss coating for now. I figured if people were going to use Galleria gloss to preserve artwork of potentially high value, it should be good enough to keep my figures nice.

Cheers, Andy

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Galleria Matt varnish is great 👍 never tried the gloss. I use Vallejo Acrylic Gloss 👍

Counterpane said...

Thanks guys! I may get over to Hobbycraft today.

Counterpane said...

I didn't get over to Hobbycraft - I've come down with a horrible cold. Hopefully I'll be back to firing on all cylinders in time for Stone Cold Lard.