Thursday, September 6, 2012

That 20 Questions Meme


Everyone seems to be doing it so I thought I’d have a go...

1.       Favourite Wargaming period and why?
The Second World War was my first real interest; I was born within 20 years of its end and remember watching All Our Yesterdays on TV as a child.  However, for some reason I’ve always had a soft spot for the Cold War - sort of 1980s-ish.  I think the interactions of weapons technology are so interesting during that period.

2.      Next period, money no object?
28mm pulp - 1930s archaeologists, cops, thugs, Nazis, mysterious cultists, maybe a dockside with run down warehouses and a salt-caked tramp steamer moored alongside.  

3.       Favourite 5 films?
In no particular order: Land and Freedom, Grosse Pointe Blank, Local Hero, 51st State, and (guilty pleasure) Notting Hill.  Interestingly that’s two films with assassins as heroes and two films with scousers as heroes.  Maybe I should review my planned answer to the “favourite fantasy job” question?

4.      Favourite 5 TV series?
Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Skins, University Challenge, Coupling (the nearest I get to quivering fanboy is where Steven Moffatt is concerned), The Big Bang Theory.

5.      Favourite book and author?
Just one book?  I love Julian May’s Galactic Milieu books but I can’t pick just one of those so it’ll have to be Pride and Prejudice.

6.      Greatest General? Can’t count yourself!!
General Studies - my favourite subject at school.

7.      Favourite Wargames rules?
Probably Arc of Fire (though Hordes of the Things is my most played set of rules; probably ten times as many games as any other rules).  

8.      Favourite Sport and team?
Rugby League and Sheffield Eagles (though I was brought up in football-mad Merseyside supporting Liverpool FC and they’ll always have a place in my heart).

9.      If you had a only use once time machine, when and where would you go?
Can I come back?  If not, I’ll pass.  If I can, then I’ll go to Istanbul, one night in May 2005.

10.     Last meal on Death Row?
Huevos rancheros.

11.     Fantasy relationship and why?
I’d love to have known Christopher Hitchens.  I can think of no-one more entertaining to sit next to at dinner.

12.     If your life were a movie, who would play you?

I’d like to think John Cusack but I’m afraid I’d probably get Mackenzie Crook.

13.     Favourite Comic  Superhero?

Perry the Platypus.  Britain doesn’t have as strong a superhero comic tradition as the USA so I’m going for the character from Phineus and Ferb, which my daughter watches on TV.

14.    Favourite Military quote?
Nous sommes dans un pot de chambre et nous y serons émmerdés.” - General Ducrot at Sedan.

15.    Historical destination to visit?
When a man is tired of London he is tired of crowded streets and an oppressive sense of being surrounded by urban sprawl for further than he can walk in every direction.  On the other hand it is full of history and OK to visit for a day.  Where I’d really like to go, though, is the French national tank museum at Saumur. 

16.    Biggest Wargaming regret?
That I spent so much time early in my wargaming career collecting Airfix figures and converting them into various ancient and Napoleonic types without any proper focus and without any real, strong interest in either period at the time.  I just thought they were “what you do if you’re a wargamer”.

17.    Favourite Fantasy job?
Gentleman of leisure.  Prepared to consider professional assassin, though.  Do you get dental with that?

18.   Favourite Song Top 5?
Panic Beach - Maria McKee, Crazy in Alabama - Kate Campbell, Fall At Your Feet - Crowded House, Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen, Family Tree - Gerry Rafferty

19.    Favourite Wargaming Moment?
I love it when a plan comes together.  The only time I ever played Shock of Impact I set up a lovely defensive position with a single light infantry unit in the battle line.  The enemy took the bait, quickly routed the lights and began a disordered pursuit only to be taken in flank by my elite Royal Guard heavy cavalry who’d been deployed on a hill for exactly this opportunity. 

20.   The miserable Git question, what upsets you?

The cussedness of inanimate objects.  Particularly dice.

3 comments:

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Everyone seems to be doing it so I thought I’d have a go...

1. Favourite Wargaming period and why?

First up would be WWII as my as my first three memories of wargaming were:-
a). My local school had an open weekend with the usual choir concerts etc. In one of the classrooms a group of older pupils had set up a 20ft x 6ft table with trees and buildings and roads and between them all were miniature 6mm scale WWII tanks! I spent the whole weekend transfixed by the spectacle of it. Miniature Typhoon's strafing supply columns and tank battles across open fields. I was lucky enough to be invited to join and commanded a battalion of Shermans for the weekend. I was hooked.
b). At the same event just down the corridor some sixth formers were playing SPI's Battle of the Bulge so whenever I could I would nip along to see how the game progressed.
c). I discovered to my delight that there was a wargames shop in town called The Garrison and would admire the beautifully painted Hinchcliffe Napoleonics but pocket money wouldn't stretch to them but I remember the glass fronted case with WWII 1/300th scale vehicles on display all travelling along a muddy track. A few Crusaders, a Matilda or two, a few jeeps and that was it, my North African force began.

Now it is more the Cold War 1980's that interests me and I have also been researching the IndoPak wars of 1965 and 1971 which have a fascinating mix of WWII equipment and more modern equipment.

2. Next period, money no object?

I would have to agree with you, 28mm pulp - 1930s archaeologists, cops, thugs, Nazis, mysterious cultists, maybe a dockside with run down warehouses and a salt-caked tramp steamer moored alongside. Don't forget the mad scientists laboratory! If not 28mm pulp I would love to do D-Day in 6mm!!!!

3. Favourite 5 films?

In no particular order: The Longest Day, The Hunt for Red October, Lord of the Rings (All three Extended Editions back to back - What a day!), Aliens and Hellboy.

4. Favourite 5 TV series?

I would have to agree wholeheartedly with your choice of Buffy the Vampire Slayer - AWESOME!!!, Doctor Who, Millenium, and if its ok I would like to choose two mini series Band of Brothers and Pacific.

5. Favourite book and author?

It would have to be Lord of the Rings or anything by Alfred Wainwright.

6. Greatest General? Can’t count yourself!!

General Patton

7. Favourite Wargames rules?

I liked Corps Commander but now its mainly Cold War Commander.

8. Favourite Sport and team?

West Bromwich Albion FC (Boing Boing).

9. If you had a only use once time machine, when and where would you go?

If I can go back I would go back to the day my sister developed her cough that turned into terminal lung cancer!

10. Last meal on Death Row?

Lobby (A beef stew with potatoes, carrots and leeks).

11. Fantasy relationship and why?

I would have loved to have walked the Lakes with Wainwright.

12. If your life were a movie, who would play you?

Damien Lewis.

13. Favourite Comic Superhero?

Judge Dredd (I am the law)


14. Favourite Military quote?

“Don't throw those bloody spears at me” - Michael Caine The Man Who Would Be King.

15. Historical destination to visit?

Battlefields of Normandy.

16. Biggest Wargaming regret?

Having to sell my whole collection to raise funds to support myself while I recovered from major spinal surgery.

17. Favourite Fantasy job?

Owner of Heroics & Ros




18. Favourite Song Top 5?

Harvester of Sorrow - Metallica, Rave On John Donne - Van Morrison, Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden, Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Iron Maiden, Boy with the Bubblegun - Tom McRae, Thunder Road - Garth Brooks (Sorry thats six!), Goodnight Saigon - Billy Joel (Sorry thats seven!)

19. Favourite Wargaming Moment?

Being part of Crisis Point 2012 - rekindled my wargaming passion

20. The miserable Git question, what upsets you?

People who watch TOWIE!!!!.

Counterpane said...

Did you mean Garth Brooks's Thunder Rolls or has he done a cover of Thunder Road too?

Richard

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Sorry yes I meant Thunder Rolls.

Cheers

Richard