Saturday, October 31, 2020

Woebetides - the Spongebob Ship

Some years ago I picked up a bright blue plastic Spongebob Squarepants pirate ship from the local flea market.

Here's what it was originally supposed to look like (mine was missing some parts):




And here's one part-way through the process of turning it to something useful.


I've tried to convert it into an unarmed two-masted merchantman that could be used for the early eighteenth century Woebetides campaign. I've now reached the point where I'm considering it done.  


I've added the decks with coffee-stirrers, including the plastic card quarterdeck you can see under construction in the top picture. The masts and boom are from two paintbrush handles and a chopstick!


I've added anchors and a ship's wheel from Games of War. The hold cover is from cartridge paper over a piece of foamcore. 


Finally, the ladders up to the quarterdeck are from an Airfix RAF control tower kit!

I've kept the rigging both absolute minimum. Enough to keep the masts secure without making it difficult to move figures around on the decks.  

The ship (and others like it) will serve as scenery and possibly as a Deployment Point in next year's Crisis Point Woebetides game.

5 comments:

BigRedBat said...

Ahoy there! Impressive.

Andy Canham said...

Great work!

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Excellent job there Mr C!

Counterpane said...

Thanks guys! It's taken me a while but I got there eventually!

Carl said...

Belatedly on my part!
Thank you for link and great bit of work.
I loved this years theme for crisispoint2021 from afar! Lots of lovely pieces of modelling for an oft neglected period and gaming scene or game evoking an imagined historic feel!
Cheers
Carl