Monday, July 18, 2022

Back to Riga

As Yorkshire steams in temperatures approaching 40 degrees, I've discovered that my workshop is among the cooler rooms in the house. Having recently acquired some more wooden coffee stirrers (thanks Costa!)  I thought I'd have a go at building another part-burned barn for the suburbs of Riga.


Usual construction - PVC board base, balsa wood uprights and coffee-stirrer planks. Hot glue gun to get things started and then clear Evostick for much of the construction work. Tetrion filler then PVA and sand for the interior ground cover/ashes. Seal with Modpodge and then spray with Army Painter matt black. In this weather the spray paint dried really quickly!

I'll get on with painting it tomorrow.

While the barn was drying, I started on a building to use particular piece of PVC board that I happened to have left over. It was a narrow rectangle but it occurred to me that I could use it to make the frontage of a building that could stand on the edge of the board.

Vecriga, the old centre of the city, is known for its marvellous old dwellings and merchant guild buildings with decorative gable ends.

The Three Brothers on Maza Pils iela

Now I don't know for sure that there were buildings of this style in the suburbs but I figured something like this would add some visual impact to what will otherwise be a fairly monochrome table.

This is where I've got to today:


Clearly it's not an exact copy of any of the buildings pictured but I think it captures the overall style. I'll probably paint it in a yellow ochre shade and possibly add some smoke marks to the exterior.


5 comments:

Steve J. said...

That's a nice start to the facade and certainly look forward to seeing the finished product. I've never thought of having this sort of thing on my table, but might give it a go and see how it looks.

Cold War Commanders said...

That's looking great Mr C

Counterpane said...

Thanks Steve. The model railway people use the low relief building approach quite frequently. I don't know whether it will work in this case but I can but try.

Counterpane said...

Cheers Richard. We must get some 1812 SP2 in some time soon.

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Maybe a trip over to the Unit in August?