Saturday, July 9, 2022

Joy of Six purchases

I didn't take any pictures at Joy of Six last weekend because I was too busy running Cold War Commander participation sessions. 

I did have time to do a bit of shopping though. From Richard Phillips's Scotia stall I bought some 1/300th scale German armour as part of my plan to be able to run all of Bob Mackenzie's Great Patriotic War scenarios. 

The nice thing about 1/300th is that you can get it painted and based really quickly...


From left to right that's a pair of Tiger Is, a Jagdpanther, two Hetzers, and two SdKfz250/9 recce halftracks.

I'm quite pleased with how the Jagdpanther turned out...


Richard also had a box of assorted second-hand micro models and I picked up five M60A2 "Starships". This variant of the M60 entered service in 1979 and carried the same 152mm gun-launcher as the M551 Sheridan. This would fire low velocity 152mm rounds for anti-personnel use or Shillelagh anti-tank guided missiles.

Unfortunately the missiles were hugely expensive so crews rarely got to train with them and firing 152mm ammunition tended to damage the delicate fire control gear. As a result the M60A2s were phased out by 1982!


The ones I bought were already painted but I've repainted them to match the version of MERDC camo that I've used on my other American models.

With the exception of a pack of Heroics and Ros modern American infantry, my entire force is made up of models found cheap on bring-and-buy tables around the country.

It appears that these particular M60A2s may be 1/285 scale. They are larger than the M60A1s I already own but painted and based they don't look too bad. The model at the extreme right in the picture below is a 1/300th scale M60A1 I already owned.


I also picked up some 1/300th scale buildings by Battlescale Miniatures. More on those when I get them painted.


5 comments:

Steve J. said...

Great work there on the WWII stuff:). Nice to be able to pick stuff up cheap over time and then assemble a force. Fingers crossed it's something I might be able to do myself...

Jamie said...

Nice work! Thanks for sharing.

Counterpane said...

Steve, Jamie,

Thanks for your kind comments!

Richard

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Blimey that was quick! Agree with you on the Jagdpanther it looks great.

Counterpane said...

Thanks Richard!