Friday, May 12, 2023

The Joy of Six plan - The Prague Summer

As some of you will know, I usually attend Joy of Six in Sheffield as part of the Cold War Commanders group. This group's usual focus is fighting huge battles set during various fictional "Third World Wars". We tend to use (of course) the Cold War Commander rules.

In recent years I've come to the conclusion that I really don't enjoy those big battles. I find them ponderous with turns taking so long to resolve that there's insufficient back and forth of manoeuvre and counter-manoeuvre over the course of a gaming session.

Having said that, I'm quite happy with the rules for smaller games and I'm keen that we continue to show them off at their best for potential players. This means making sure that at Joy of Six we have a small, fast-moving game with the possibility that punters can sit in for a while and see a reasonable number of game turns.

This year, in addition to the group's usual mid-1980s fare, we'll be running some fast-moving participation action in what I'm guessing will be a unique setting. 

Our starting point is the February 1948 coup d'etat that saw pro-Soviet Communists take over the Czechoslovak government. In our fictional reality the coup failed and later that year the Soviets invaded Czechoslovakia.

The 1948 Czechoslovak Army is made up of troops trained and equipped by the British and others trained and equipped by the Soviets. In addition, the Škoda and Avia factories were equipped to continue manufacturing Nazi-era German tanks and aircraft. This is an opportunity to use some interesting kit. 

I've already re-painted some spare SdKfz 251/1 halftracks in the colours of the Czechoslovak army, for whom they have the designation OPp 3t N. 


These will carry a mix of my Soviet and British infantry and support weapons - I'm not going to produce stuff especially for the game, except where I have suitable models lying around that can be repurposed.


I've started keeping a few soft-skins and/or APCs unbased so I can add them to generic HQ bases as particular games require. Below we can see an unbased OPp 3t N added to an open space on a base that otherwise has just command figures and a Jeep. A bit of Blutac will keep the vehicle in place for the course of the game.


Neil McCusker and Andy Taylor are on-board with this plan and it looks like we'll have a quite a bit more narrative to share by the time the event comes around. I'll add some more details here as time passes.




7 comments:

Steve J. said...

Whilst the MegaGames you chaps normally run look spectacular (and they are) I have to agree that it's hard ot enjoy the actual game for the reasons already stated. For solo games and most FtF ones these days, a couple of Battalions per side at most is what we find works for us. Anymore and it's hard to keep track of what's going on plus each Turn takes ages.

For the 1948 game, will you be using BKCIV, as most of the kit is WWII vintage, or CWCII?

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Very nice Mr C they look great 👍

Counterpane said...

Steve,

Yeah, I think you're right about two battalions or so being the sweet spot (though it'll play quite nicely below that level).

If it's OK, I'll hold off answering the rules in use question. Look out for another post coming shortly as a few things get finalised.

Counterpane said...

Cheers, Lord of the Shed!

Steve J. said...

Most of my games these days are a re-inforced Battalion aside at most and the rules work just fine as you say. I do use an HQ per Company which gives a better flow to the game IMHO. I look forward to your post re: the rules you will be using:).

Andy Canham said...

Great idea for a scenario. Andy T was telling me about it on Thursday.

Counterpane said...

Cheers Andy! Are you and Ian coming to do some 1985 CWC?