Wednesday, May 17, 2023

More on the Prague Summer

I suspect even the most observant among you won't have noticed that the previous post on plans for Joy of Six carried both the "Cold War Commander" and "TacWW2" labels. This was because we plan to try running the same scenario side-by side with both sets of rules.

Back in 2018, we did something vaguely similar when we ran three scenarios, identical except for the fact that that they were set, respectively in 1959, 1973, and 1989. This let us see how CWC handled forces varying from the super-heavy Conquerors and T-10s of the 1950s, through the rise of missiles in the 70s, to the smart technology and composite armour of the late Cold War.


This time the plan is to see how two different sets of rules handle similar scenarios. With a 1948 early Cold War setting we should be entirely OK using WW2 rules on one table and "moderns" rules on the other. 

I plan on running on one section of the table using the old but characterful TacWWII rules while Neil and Andy run similar forces with Cold War Commander. I anticipate the rest of the group will play 1985-era CWC over the usual excellent terrain (pretty much entirely provided by Richard Phillips's) on most of the usual big table. 

A good piece of news is that I've spoken to Chris Pringle and he plans to make the TacWWII rules available in pdf form. I'll let you know the details when I have them.

Steve J, commenting on a previous post here suggested that we might use Blitzkrieg Commander rather than CWC. This would certainly work but I'll leave that decision up to Neil and Andy.  We may see some T-54s and MiG-15s so using the post-WW2 set may be more straightforward.

This game is also a chance to use some fun aircraft. Early as I am in learning the ins and outs of my new 3D printer, I've managed to produce this rather crude but, I think, usable Me262 (or Avia S-92 Turbina as the Czechs call it).


I also have an ancient white metal casting of an Me109 that I acquired in a bag of assorted bits from Wargames Emporium. This is a great opportunity to paint it up as a Czech S-199.

Since I printed the Me262 I've got a little more confident with the slicer programme I'm using and I've managed to print off this MiG-15 to provide air support for the Soviets though I really ought to check the in service date before committing to using it! Still needs a bit of cleaning up.


Also 3D printed is this apartment building, which I think will pass for somewhere in Czechoslovakia. Basing to be done - I'm going to try to match Richard Phillips's usual standard.


Keep looking out for future posts on this!

7 comments:

Neil Patterson said...

First operational flight of Mig-15 31 December 1948, in service following year (from Wikipedia)
Neil

Counterpane said...

Thanks Neil, that'll disappoint the Soviet commander!

Although I suppose in a fictional setting we could say they've rushed prototypes into service to support this important operation. ;-)

Neil Patterson said...

I think the prototype flew earlier. You could always allow one with the risk of serious malfunction ( wings falling off, engine blowing up) if feeling fiendish!
Neil

Counterpane said...

CWC uses a die roll (2D6 scoring below the forward observer's Command Value ) to call in air support. Let's say that on a double six there's been some technical problem with the MiG-15s and they are no longer available to be called in.

TacWWII uses an engagement roll (on 1D10 with modifiers based on speed etc) to determine which formation(s) of aircraft has/have the initiative in any given game turn. I think a roll of 1 on this die followed by a failed Tac roll could have the same effect.

Wg Cdr Luddite said...

looking forwards to seeing Tac;WW2 in action !

Counterpane said...

WCL:

OK but you're not allowed to criticise when I get it wrong!

Wg Cdr Luddite said...

You're assuming I can still remember the rules...